Beryl Odette, Fountain. Storefront exhibition at 601Artspace, August 8 – August 28, 2020. Image by Rafael Gamo.
Open Call for Sidewalk Series
Submission deadline: December 30th, 2023
601Artspace is seeking submissions for window/storefront-based exhibitions that can be viewed from the exterior of 88 Eldridge Street. Examples of past storefront projects can found in our archive here. We invite individual artists and groups to propose site-specific installations that can include, but are not limited to:
- Artworks displayed inside our window (and lit appropriately) so they can be seen from the sidewalk
- Printed vinyl images installed on part or all of the glass panels
- Lightweight banners or fabric works that can be hung from our exterior
The chosen artist/s will also have the option of creating an online complement to the exhibition. Financial support is available for materials and fabrication, and a $1000 honorarium will be awarded for time and labor. The next storefront exhibitions will take place in May and August of 2024, with more to follow. The next deadline for submission is December 30th, 2023.
To apply, please submit ONE PDF with the following information to proposals@601Artspace.org. Please put your name and “STOREFRONT” in the subject.
- Up to 300 words describing the concept of the exhibition
- A schematic design or detailed sketch of the storefront
- Up to 10 supplemental images or sketches of the intended works
- A general budget for materials and fabrication
601Artspace will work closely with the chosen artist/s on all technical specifics of preparation and installation. The schematic below is intended for preliminary planning purposes only - additional measurements and modifications may be necessary.